Environmental Education Coordinator – Career Opportunity
The Escondido Creek Conservancy (Conservancy) is seeking a part-time Environmental Education Coordinator to assist and support environmental education programs for children and adults in the Escondido Creek watershed. This is a new position that requires outdoor field trip support and indoor administrative responsibilities.
ABOUT US: Located in the County of San Diego, California, The Escondido Creek Conservancy is a non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and restoring the Escondido Creek watershed. The Conservancy has protected over 7,000 acres of
wildlands and is working to improve creek water quality to enhance wildlife habitat. The Conservancy also supports educational programs and compatible outdoor recreation within the watershed and in the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve—a 784-acre park featuring 11 miles of trails.
DUTIES: The Environmental Education Coordinator (Coordinator) will work with the Conservancy’s Education Manager (Manager) to support environmental education programs and conduct outreach. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Help develop/refine lesson plans, curricula, and other resources; ensure curricula adheres to current standards. For example, the Coordinator might develop draft plans for approval by the Manager.
- Lead outdoor educational field trips, primarily at the Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve ● Assist in developing and implementing a summer day camp program
- Participate in paid program trainings
- Assist in communication with teachers, schools, and school district personnel to schedule and coordinate of all aspects of educational programs as needed
- Update the Education Calendar with all programs/events and staff/volunteer assignments ● Represent the Conservancy while participating in outreach events relevant to environmental education
- Lead in-classroom lessons at schools throughout Escondido
- Assist with implementing aspects of the Conservancy’s Education Strategic Plan ● Assist in seeking organizational endorsements and upkeeping records for the Conservancy’s California Statewide Outdoor Learning campaign
- Review guidelines for relevant prospective grant opportunities and assist in drafting applications ● Participate in annual program assessments; help monitor and evaluate programs as needed ● Help recruit volunteers to support the programs
- Communicate program needs to the Education Manager
- Facilitate other education programs as delegated by the Education Manager ● Carry out other duties as assigned
QUALIFICATIONS: This position is for a growing professional with at least 1-2 years of relevant experience in education, conservation, or another related field and a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a related field. Familiarity and experience with national and state education standards (NGSS; Common Core) and inquiry-based learning concepts would be extremely useful. First Aid/CPR certification is also required but will be provided by the Conservancy, if necessary. The Education Coordinator should be a team player and a highly organized person with experience working with the public. A “get it done” attitude is essential. Current California driver’s license, automobile insurance, and an automobile in good working order are required.
HOURS: The position is part-time at approximately 20 hours of work per week. Schedule is variable, but field trips and classroom lessons generally take place on weekdays 8:00am–2:00pm, 1–5 days/week. Additional administrative hours will be flexibly scheduled weekly. There is a possibility of additional hours, contingent upon funding.
PAY and BENEFITS: The pay range for this position is $24 to $29 an hour, depending on experience and availability of funding. Some administrative responsibilities can be worked remotely. Part-time employees accrue sick leave, receive reimbursement for mileage, and have access to the Conservancy’s 401K with 4% matching. Miles driven varies and is coordinated with the Manager.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Varies.
TO APPLY: Email your cover letter and resume to [email protected].